The Wild Kart is on the track!
Though it took much longer than it should have, and though we haven’t had a chance to add in the control and features that we were hoping for, the team is simply excited that we were able to get the major obstacle of the game solved.
After a ridiculous amount of effort, from Kevin as well as several of the other engineers in the studio (Dan, Pace, Jorge, and others), we’ve finally got the kart following the track. It was such an unbelievable amount of work to do, and we’ve gained a healthy amount of respect for those who make racing games, and other pathfinding type games. It’s much more difficult that we originally anticipated, and our paradigm has shifted considerably.
In Kevin’s words, “I’m no longer surprised at how many people make space related games that don’t have to follow specific paths. That makes total sense now.”
The presentation today seemed to go rather well, despite the minor technical hiccups. Overall, though we did not have a fully playable game, the excited response that we received from the client and from the audience really seemed to indicate that we are on the right track.
Kevin has mentioned, as well, that he wants to take the code home over the winter break and see if he can’t get the rest of it working before the New Year. (Overachiever!)
So, good presentation, strong concept, and really pulling our own fat out of the fryer on this one. Here’s hoping that it was enough!